Texas State CAMCO participating
in full month of events
April isn’t long enough for all the activities for Texas State CAMCO.
The busiest month of the year for the Cancer Advocacy Movement for Colleges and Outreach kicks off Monday, and continues through May 7
CAMCO, which has expanded from Texas State to colleges and universities across the state, is affiliated with more than a dozen events to promote awareness of and education about cancer.
Events begin with a campus-wide bone marrow registration drive, Monday-Thursday next week. In the last three years, 12 students who have registered at Texas State have wound up donating life-saving marrow to cancer patients.
CAMCO is sponsoring its cancer survivors and remembrance event on Wednesday. Food will be available at the reception, which begins at 6:30 p.m., and two iPads will be given away as door prizes. Winners of the organization’s first essay contest will be revealed at the event as well.
This spring also will mark the launch of the CAMCO Boxer Night and Fashion Show on April 6 at the Alkek Teaching Theater.
Student groups will decorate boxer shorts with cancer-related themes to help launch Testicular Cancer Awareness Month, and a variety of organizations will be on hand to present information about cancer. Free food will be available at the reception, which begins at 6:30 p.m., and there also will be door prizes.
Here’s a schedule of upcoming public CAMCO events:
- Bone Marrow Donor Registration Drive, Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., tables across campus
- “No Cancer for Mom and Dad” educational handouts, Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., 1,000 bags for distribution at marrow drive tables
- Relay for Life: ACS Team and Colleges against Cancer, April 1-2, 7 p.m.-7 a.m., Bobcat Stadium
- Boxer Night and Fashion Show, April 6, reception at 6:30 p.m., event 7 p.m., Alkek Teaching Theater. Winners of the CAMCO essay contest also will be announced.
- Texas State softball “Pink Out” game, April 10, noon, Texas State Softball Stadium
- Central Texas Medical Center HealthCheck/Texas State CAMCO Cancer Health Fair, April 28, 7 a.m.-6 p.m., San Marcos Convention Center
- Texas State Radiation Therapy Student Presentations, April 28, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., San Marcos Convention Center
- Cancer Education Dinner about Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, April 29, 7-9 p.m., San Marcos Convention Center (sponsored by the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society)
- Oncology Healthcare Professionals Symposium, April 29, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., San Marcos Convention Center (sponsored by the Texas Medical Association)
- May Day 5K Run/Walk in collaboration with Beta Sigma Phi, Xi Alpha Xi and Epsilon Upsilon Chapters and San Marcos Runners Club, May 7, 8 a.m., Maria Hernandez School