Construction work to close
pedestrian mall on campus
The closure will extend from Alkek Library to LBJ Drive. It is necessary to begin construction on the first phase of the new Bobcat Trail Pedestrian Mall. Portions of the new Bobcat Trail Mall will be re-opened as construction is completed.
The following areas will be affected by the closure of the Pedestrian Mall and re-openings (see maps/dates below):
- Accessible pathways will be temporarily relocated.
- The accessible path through Alkek will be from the second floor of Alkek Library, down the elevators to the first floor and through the corridors to the east exit door to the plaza. Electronic card access is needed to open the outside exit door and to enter the library on the first floor.
- Non-accessible pedestrian traffic will be re-routed to the main pedestrian mall north of Evans (the Quad).
- Entry doors on the south side of Evans will be closed.
- Emergency exit doors on the south side of Evans will be directed to a pathway through the construction site to an area of safety.
- ADA access to the Nueces Building will be rerouted.
- Accessible access to the northeast side of Jones Dining Hall will be re-routed.
- Limited demolition and site fencing for the new Paws & Go will begin on May 1. Full demolition and construction of the new Paws & Go will begin May 16.
- The existing Paws & Go will be closed May 12.
Schedule of re-openings:
- Accessible path at the southeast corner of Alkek will be re-opened June 1.
- Accessible path to the northeast side of Jones Dining Hall will be re-opened June 27.
- Accessible path to the north porch of Nueces will re-open in late fall of 2011.
- A narrow section of the new Bobcat Trail Mall immediately adjacent to the Evans Building will re-open by the start of fall 2011 classes. At that time all the doors and exits on the south side of Evans will re-open.
- The new Paws & Go will open by the start of fall 2011 classes.
For more information, contact the Facilities Planning, Design and Construction office at 512.245.2202.
George Krezinski, Project Manager: 512.245.6172
Mike Cochran, Construction Manager: 512.245.6130
Tina Schultz (Office of Disability Services): 512.245.3451