Holiday helper: Plan now for a relaxing Thanksgiving break
by Texas State SLAC
The days are getting shorter but your to-do list is getting longer. You might be tempted to put your class work off until after Thanksgiving because you don’t want to be doing homework while family and friends are visiting, eating turkey, then sleeping off the tryptophan! But by putting off your studies, you could find yourself neck deep in homework — and facing lowered motivation because the semester is almost over. Not to mention that you’ll have finals to study for (sorry, we had to bring that up!). Here is a better course of action.
Today and tonight:
- Write a rough outline for a paper or presentation.
- Review notes about your 99 physics problems (or problems in any other class) and do related homework.
- Read notes for other upcoming tests.
- Write the first paragraph of your paper and prepare the first slide of your presentation.
- Continue working on homework due after Thanksgiving.
- Study your notes a little more.
The next three nights:
- Go over your work to make sure it is written or presented in a professional manner.
- Make necessary corrections to homework and to your notes.
During Thanksgiving, you can be worry free because you are done with all your projects — or are finishing them in manageable amounts.
This takes planning, but get started. Once the ball is rolling, it’s easier to keep it in motion. Don’t sabotage yourself by waiting until the last minute. Start getting the work done today so that this Thanksgiving is as restful as possible.